Big Oil and Southern Baptists
Over at EthicsDaily.com, Brian Kaylor has an excellent article exposing the close relationship of the Oil Industry to the signers of a statement released by the anti-global warming Interfaith Stewardship Alliance.
According to Kaylor, eight of the signers (including one of the four authors) work for six organizations that have received a total of $2.32 million in donations from ExxonMobil over the last three years. Not only do these fellas have Big Oil support, but two of these men have been connected to the Jack Abrahmoff scandal….
Conflict of Interest anyone???….
Of those putting their John Hancock on the statement were 8 Southern Baptists including…
1. Gregg Allison of SBTS
2. James Borland of Liberty University
3. Kent Chambers of Hardin-Simmons University in Abiliene
4. Reginald Ecarma of North Greenville University (CENTRIFUGE!!!)
5. Gary Gray of Southwest Baptist University
6. Michael Salazar of Union University
7. Gregory Thornbury of Union University
8. David Whitlock of Southwest Baptist University
Fortunately, 8 intellectually-honest Southern Baptists signed a statement released by the Evangelical Climate Initiative last February calling Evangelicals to Action on the critical reality of global warming.
1. David Clark of Palm Beach Atlantic University
2. David Dockery of Union University
3. Douglas Hodo of Houston Baptist University
4. Timothy George of Beeson Divinity School
5. David Gushee of Union University
6. Lee Royce of Mississippi College
7. Pat Taylor of Southwest Baptist Univesity
8. Rick Warren
Unfortunately, the Southern Baptist Convention still doubts the dangers of global warming. See my previous post entitled “It’s The Environment, Stupid” on the SBC’s recent anti-environment resolution…
Nonetheless, it’s refreshing to see Southern Baptists such as Timothy George and David Dockery taking a public stand FOR the Environment as Baptist leaders such as Tony Campolo, Stan Hastey, Al Gore, and President Jimmy Carter already have…